Monday, July 14, 2014

The Fallout

So yesterday I went to visit family.  Dad drove us down and I brought books and music with me knowing that the ride could be long both ways because of traffic.  I like that my dad drives.  If it was up to me to drive it always made it easier for me to come up with some excuse not to go. 

As it was I had to push down that great feeling of agoraphobia I get when tasked with going anywhere.  I am not sure if that is part of the disorder but it is definitely something that started over 15 years ago after getting Lyme's Disease.  I hate it because I always loved seeing my family and going out with friends. Now I have to admit sometimes when I tell people I don't feel good and I am not going, I do not know if it is just my mind making me feel worse or not.

My dad's cousin. Karen, had us down to Marshfield (which for those of you who are not familiar with Massachusetts is pretty close to the Cape).  Her cottage is a stone's throw from the beach but at this point with this disease it is safer for me to stay out of the sun and not do too much walking.  I ended up situating myself in the cottage for the whole day.  It was still a lot of fun though.

My extended family is huge on my father's side.  My grandmother (or Grammy as we all called her) was the oldest of 15 and only one of her siblings passed away young.  So we have lots of family here in Massachusetts and more up in Canada and a bunch that moved out west to California and Utah. 

Some of the cousins that we were visiting were from PEI, Canada.  The Canadians that were here, besides my Grand-Aunt Ann,  had never been down to Massachusetts and I had never met them before. We had fun telling stories and we all ate...a lot.  I didn't stuff myself all at once but I picked the entire time I was there so by the time we left I felt like a bloated tick.  When will I ever learn?

The car ride home was me laying down in the back seat on my husband's lap reading a YA novel by Holly Black while he listened to Cake on my Kindle (he cannot tolerate the classical music my mom constantly listens to and we have to leave on in her car because she still cannot figure out the radio after 10 months).  You wouldn't think sitting around talking and nibbling on everything I could get my hands on would be so draining but I am telling you with a condition like Dercum's it can be just that.

By the time we got home I was so tired I hardly even looked at the computer and went right downstairs to lie on my bed with my cat, Aiko, and watch some television.  If you need to know, I watched the newly released on Netflix episodes of Comedy Bang Bang! because I needed something humorous to ease my tired mind.  Plus Reggie is just awesome.

I did not get out of bed until about 10:30AM which is very late for me.  I am normally up and at'em by 9 at the very latest.  As I sit here writing this, I feel as though I could easily crawl back downstairs and fall back to sleep. 

But it was all worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment