Saturday, June 18, 2011

Getting Back on Track: My 2011 Resolution

Last year I went through months of being really good on my diet and even did as much exercise that I felt I could (normally about 3-4 days a week for about 20-30 minutes at a time). Keeping in mind that after years of being undiagnosed, I was a newbie to this disease (was just diagnosed April 2010 and only knew about Dercum's for about a year before that). So, I was very dismayed that my weight was not changing except for the 10 pound fluctuation that happens with the swelling on a day to day basis.

With my fists clenched and me pumping both back and forth in the air at the whole miserable fate of this disease, I gave up. Why should I care if I eat right and exercise if my weight is going to remain at the same point? Why not gorge on ice cream sundae dinners and Dunkin' Donuts' coffee rolls? Extra cheese and sausage and/or pepperoni pizza five times a week with out a care in the world? Don't mind if I do. Don't feel like cooking dinner? Well, HELLO Micky D's!

And it wasn't only my diet that went to Hell. Even with the pool opened at my parent's house all last summer, I went in the pool twice. I had so many excuses as to why I should not exercise, I started to believe I really was not supposed to do exercise at all with Dercum's because it would just make it worse.

Well, I can tell you that convincing myself diet and exercise did not matter took a toll on me not just physically but emotionally as well. Having a chronic illness does not mean one should lay down and just give up. Life is what you make of it and I choose not to be a victim but a fighter.

Being good to your body does not mean you need to give everything up. The old adage "everything in moderation" is key to living a better life. One just needs to figure out just what their own moderation level is. For me, it is definitely a once a week rule. I will try for 2 weeks to be very good and detoxify my system and then I will allow myself a once a week cheat treat. If I don't mentally plan for this, I can easily fall back to my old ways.

I have been given the gifts of wisdom and the need to help others but now I am changing how I disperse these on others. Whether it is the people I train at work or the advice I am giving at Cure Dercum's and before that at MD Junction, I always tell people to do as I say not as I do. Well, for my late but very much needed resolution for 2011, I will lead by doing not just in words. I even started getting organized at work which is just a huge step. My desk is no longer considered in the top 3 messiest at work. I am not perfect but every positive step I take will not only help me but every other person in my life.

I hope this inspires others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment